Monday 20 June 2011

Waiting Room

I had such a strange experience today.

My mum had an appointment at the hospital, just a little check up nothing serious.

As I sat in the waiting room, I couldn’t help but look around, everyone was so on edge  waiting on results and comforting their sick loved ones. For some the results where not good and their hard northern Irish front couldn’t hold it in and they just fell apart.

In the corner of the room there was this lady, she seemed so at peace. The longer I waited the more I seen her move round the room from couple to couple she chatted, made them laugh and made them feel more at ease. Nurses would come in and out and every time they would say hello to her and asking how had she been. They seemed to know her more than any other person in the waiting room. The closer she came to me I could see that she was not just there to comfort a loved one but she was a patient. I recognised those fake hairpieces, her lack of eyebrows and eyelashes. 

I couldn’t take my eyes off her and could help but listen to what she was saying. The closer she came, the more I was drawn to her, then I recognised what she was saying. The lady sick with cancer was spending her day telling people in that hospital waiting room about her saviour. When I started to put it together in my head, it occurred to me that this was not a one off this little lady came here often, often enough that the nurses knew her by name.

She worked her way around the room telling people about her wonderful father and her glorious saviour, she prayed with them and she loved them, she served them getting them tea, tissues and even bringing a chocolate cake.

I felt so encouraged and also guilty. This lady who was sick, was going through treatment herself, but she was in the waiting room of the cancer ward looking after people, telling them the truth and the greatest love story she knew.

It made me think of all opportunities I have had to share my faith, to love people and to serve people, but I don’t I sit back and wait for others to pick up the slack. 

So encouraged by this little lady today

Lord please increase my faith
Make me Bold and Strong


Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment